[IPython-User] iPython QTConsole - Force yellow quickref guide to appear again?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Sep 6 13:03:28 CDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Jon Wilson <jsw@fnal.gov> wrote:
> That sounds singularly dreadful to me.  Moving the cursor around should
> be an extremely lightweight and fast operation, and having a popup every
> time the cursor was to the right of a '(' would be a huge annoyance and
> probable drag on code editing.  Furthermore, it would continually
> obscure other code that I would be trying to look at.
>
> Frankly, I often have the opposite problem -- in 0.13.dev (don't
> remember the date I pulled from git), I sometimes have the yellow help
> box pop up when I let the cursor linger too long after typing a '(', and
> when that happens, I cannot get it to disappear again...

I also think that having the box pop up always is not ideal at all.  I
think the better solution would be to:

1. Have the tab key trigger the opening of the popup box when next to
an open parenthesis.  Right now it tries to complete on the empty
string, which is useless since it basically means dumping the entire
available namespace.

2. The popup box should be a smarter widget, like the one Matthias
wrote for the notebook, which can be expanded with a second tab
keystroke for cases in which the information doesn't fit in the box.

I think the model Matthias implemented for the notebook works very
well, and the best solution would be for the qt console to match that.