[IPython-User] iPython QTConsole - Force yellow quickref guide to appear again?

Francesco Montesano franz.bergesund@gmail....
Thu Sep 6 14:07:16 CDT 2012

Hi Fernando,

2012/9/6 Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 6:34 AM, Francesco Montesano
> <franz.bergesund@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Usually I'm on 0.12.1, but I've a git clone of 0.14 done about a week
>> ago and I see the same behaviour in both.
>
> That's very odd, and I simply don't see how that could be happening
> for you, as those code paths don't exist.  Let's make sure we are
> talking about the same thing... Start a qtconsole, run %pylab, and
> then type
>
> range?
>
> and later
>
> plot?
>
> In the first case, you should see a docstring printed right inline in
> the console, where as the second case should open a pager that you
> exit with 'q' and which doesn't leave any text printed on the console,
> as here:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/SW0z1.png
If I use the ? after the command it does as you, but if I use the help
function (help(range), help(plot)) it prints both texts on the
console.
The ? has the same behaviour on the qtconsole and the standard ipython
terminal, but in the latter the help function opens a pager
independently of the length of the docstring (and I personally prefer
this way). Would be hard to give the help the same behaviour?
I'm tempted to open a feature request in github to pipe the help(...)
into the pager
Cheers,
Francesco