[IPython-User] Advice on running a server with multiple users

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Fri Sep 7 13:37:30 CDT 2012

Benjie,

I will reply here with some general thoughts about multiuser support
and then below with answers to particular questions and issues you
bring up.

First of all, we currently have no proper multiuser support.  This is
only because we have not yet gotten to implementing it.  We definitely
want multiuser support and are currently in the process of writing an
academic grant to get this work funded.  But, that doesn't mean that
we can't start to move forward on this in the meantime.  We have spent
a lot of time thinking about this.  I was going to post of of these
thoughts in this email thread, but I am actually going to create a new
IPEP (IPython Enhancement Proposal) for this:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/IPython-Enhancement-Proposals-(IPEPs)

 We have recently started to use these to discuss major developments
like this.  I will do that right now and post of link to the document.
 I will also email ipython-dev to start the discussion there.

Cheers,

Brian

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Benjie Chen <benjie@ginkgobioworks.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running an iPython server with multiple users. We are running
> into this problem where it's fairly easy for users to open the same
> notebook, thereby stepping on each other's kernel. What's the current
> advice for handling this? And what features may be coming in the near
> and long term dealing with this issue?
>
> For example, I can envision that if user authentication is supported
> (is it?), then a notebook can have multiple kernels, each kernel
> belong to a user. A user can only enter his/her own kernel, but can
> enter readonly mode of other kernels. Warnings are given when user
> opens a new kernel on a notebook that already exists an active kernel,
> so they know the danger of overwriting each other's changes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Benjie

Brian E. Granger