[IPython-User] Vote: should we move our wiki over to github?

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Sat Sep 8 17:11:21 CDT 2012

Fernando has given some motivation for this proposed change, but I
think a few more details are important:

* Currently, we have "developer docs" in two locations: the IPython
Sphinx docs and the mediawiki wiki site.  At best, these two locations
repeat information, at worse they are inconsistent.  In practice
having two locations for these things has meant that this information
gets out of date.
* We would like to start to develop a "Development Roadmap" for
IPython that outlines the big picture of where we are headed.
* We have started to use IPEPs (IPython Enhancement Proposals) to
guide the development of particular "big" features.

All of these things are developer related documentation that we want
to make it easy for all developers to read and edit in a single
location.  Because most of our development happens on github, I think
it makes sense for that location to be the github wiki.  That was my
original argument for hosting this context on the github wiki.

>From there, Fernando wisely brought up the impracticality of
maintaining two wikis (github and mediawiki) and proposed to move
*all* our existing mediawiki content to github as well.

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've been having on and off discussions about this in the middle of
> other threads for a while, and we think it's time to make a decision.
> Our current wiki setup (http://wiki.ipython.org) is a manual mediawiki
> installation that we manage, with configuration mostly having been
> done by Thomas and myself.  We chose that instead of activating the
> github wiki mainly because we wanted a more 'user friendly' space:
> github wikis are still located deep inside of the github site with a
> lot of screen space and controls that are mostly relevant to those
> following development more closely.
>
> But as more and more of our workflow happens on github, we are
> reconsidering this decision.  For example, with the new process for
> discussing more complex IPython enahncements via IPEPs
> (https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/IPython-Enhancement-Proposals-%28IPEPs%29),
> it makes a lot of sense to work on github itself, as it lets us
> conveniently link all materials on one site, we reuse skills
> (markdown) and workflow patterns, etc.  And keeping *two* wikis, one
> on a manual Mediawiki install and one on github, is really more
> management than it's worth.  Hence the question:
>
> Should we consolidate all wiki materials on a single one on github?

[ X] Yes
[ ] No

> In terms of actually agreeing to move, we need to have a migration
> plan in place first, though.  Maintaining two wikis is untenable, so
> before we start building the new github one we need to have a solution
> for migrating content, which fortunately isn't too much.  Would anyone
> here volunteer to help out with this process?  Most likely it can be
> automated to a significant degree; we can give a volunteer acess to
> the mediawiki installation; since the github wiki is itself just a
> wiki repo, then running pandoc over all the pages on the existing wiki
> and pushing to that local repo should be pretty easy.

I volunteer to move over all of our developer related docs from the
various locations.

Cheers,

Brian

> Cheers,