[IPython-User] Vote: should we move our wiki over to github?

Aaron Meurer asmeurer@gmail....
Sat Sep 8 17:45:41 CDT 2012

I gave my view on the matter a while back at
http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/2012-June/010375.html and
http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/2012-June/010392.html.  I
don't really feel involved enough in the community to vote (I have
never used the IPython wiki), so you should just take it as advice
from my personal experience with SymPy's wikis and no more.

- The GitHub wiki is pretty good, though it has its deficiencies.
- The biggest strength of the GitHub wiki is that everything is just a
git repository.  This pretty much makes up for the deficiencies (in my
opinion).
- Regardless of what you do, having more than one wiki is a serious
PITA (we at one point had three).

I also talked a little bit about how to transition.  It's a lot easier
to deal with the GitHub wiki if you use the fact that it's a git
repository, and just do all your editing locally and pushing up the
results.  Unfortunately, the wiki permissions are exactly the same as
the repository permissions, and there's no way to change that, so if
you don't have push access and want to use git to contribute, you'll
have to fork the wiki and get someone with push access to merge your
changes.

And by the way, I just noticed another deficiency in Gollum that I
didn't notice before: it doesn't seem to have a search functionality.
So if you want to search the wiki, you'll either have to use Google,
or clone the wiki repo and use grep.  But it's open source, so maybe
someone can contribute...

Aaron Meurer