[IPython-User] Vote: should we move our wiki over to github?

Tom Brander tombrander@tombrander....
Sat Sep 8 17:59:02 CDT 2012

Marked yes, the more mainstream the tools re the better, People are very
used to Git-hub and all that it offers now.

Have not been trying to use and keep up with the project as much as I'd
like but soon,, I hope..

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We've been having on and off discussions about this in the middle of
> other threads for a while, and we think it's time to make a decision.
> Our current wiki setup (http://wiki.ipython.org) is a manual mediawiki
> installation that we manage, with configuration mostly having been
> done by Thomas and myself.  We chose that instead of activating the
> github wiki mainly because we wanted a more 'user friendly' space:
> github wikis are still located deep inside of the github site with a
> lot of screen space and controls that are mostly relevant to those
> following development more closely.
>
> But as more and more of our workflow happens on github, we are
> reconsidering this decision.  For example, with the new process for
> discussing more complex IPython enahncements via IPEPs
> (
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/IPython-Enhancement-Proposals-%28IPEPs%29
> ),
> it makes a lot of sense to work on github itself, as it lets us
> conveniently link all materials on one site, we reuse skills
> (markdown) and workflow patterns, etc.  And keeping *two* wikis, one
> on a manual Mediawiki install and one on github, is really more
> management than it's worth.  Hence the question:
>
> Should we consolidate all wiki materials on a single one on github?
>
> [X] Yes
> [ ] No
>
> In terms of actually agreeing to move, we need to have a migration
> plan in place first, though.  Maintaining two wikis is untenable, so
> before we start building the new github one we need to have a solution
> for migrating content, which fortunately isn't too much.  Would anyone
> here volunteer to help out with this process?  Most likely it can be
> automated to a significant degree; we can give a volunteer acess to
> the mediawiki installation; since the github wiki is itself just a
> wiki repo, then running pandoc over all the pages on the existing wiki
> and pushing to that local repo should be pretty easy.
>
> Cheers,

Tom Brander
http://tombrander.com -Real Estate
http://oswco.com -Open Software