[IPython-User] pyreadline stopped working

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson@kroywen...
Wed Sep 12 11:47:34 CDT 2012

Pete Forman skrev 2012-09-12 16:48:
> Jörgen Stenarson <jorgen.stenarson@kroywen.se> writes:
>
>> Pete Forman skrev 2012-09-12 14:14:
>>> I'm using IPython on Windows 7 under virtualenv/pip with Python 2.6.6
>>> and 2.7.3. I abruptly lost the readline features: prompt color has gone with
>>> escape codes being printed literally, history completion stopped, cannot
>>> log out with ctrl-D, etc. Actually ctr-D is reported to be a SyntaxError
>>> and the colors look good on that. This has happened in all my virtualenv
>>> instances. Upgrading one of them from ipython 0.12.1 to 0.13 made no
>>> difference.
>>>
>>> The only change I can think of is Patch Tuesday.
>>>
>> Does pyreadline work under a regular python prompt? What version of
>> pyreadline are you using?
>>

> pyreadline is working in Python. I pasted in the example snippet for use
> in a PYTHONSTARTUP file. History and completion are working. Should I
> expect color?
>
> pyreadline==2.0-dev1

then it is probably not a problem with pyreadline. There should not be
color in a regular python. That is completely related to ipython.

If you run ipython like this:
python -v \Pythonxx\scripts\ipython-scripts.py

then you should see a list of all packages imported during startup. Is
pyreadline among them?

Another thing to try would be to start ipython in an empty profile, and
see if you have the same problem there
ipython profile create EMPTY
ipython --profile=EMPTY

/Jörgen