[IPython-User] pyreadline stopped working

Pete Forman petef4+usenet@gmail....
Sun Sep 16 06:07:49 CDT 2012

Pete Forman <petef4+usenet@gmail.com> writes:

> Jörgen Stenarson <jorgen.stenarson@kroywen.se> writes:
>
>> Pete Forman skrev 2012-09-12 16:48:

>>> pyreadline is working in Python. I pasted in the example snippet for
>>> use in a PYTHONSTARTUP file. History and completion are
>>> working. Should I expect color?
>>>
>>> pyreadline==2.0-dev1
>>>
>> then it is probably not a problem with pyreadline. There should not be
>> color in a regular python. That is completely related to ipython.
>>
>> If you run ipython like this:
>> python -v \Pythonxx\scripts\ipython-scripts.py
>>
>> then you should see a list of all packages imported during startup. Is
>> pyreadline among them?
>>
>> Another thing to try would be to start ipython in an empty profile, and
>> see if you have the same problem there
>> ipython profile create EMPTY
>> ipython --profile=EMPTY
>
> pyreadline is listed during verbose startup. The only warnings I see are
> about being unable to write .pyc files into C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Python27\Lib but that is expected as I am not running as
> administrator.
>
> I see the same problem with the EMPTY profile.

There is still a problem loading ipython. I am comparing it with another
Windows PC (Vista Pro, Python 2.7.2, IPython 0.12) that is working.

In order to troubleshoot I am typing in the following, with a view to
typing ipshell() later.

>>> from IPython.frontend.terminal.embed import InteractiveShellEmbed
>>> ipshell = InteractiveShellEmbed()

On the good PC the prompt stays as '>>> ' and I can start an IPython
session with ipshell().

On the bad PC the prompt changes to 'In : '. ipshell() gets me to the
same place as ipython.exe.

My suspicion is that InteractiveShellEmbed is partially initializing and
my ipshell is half nested. Any hints or pointers?

--
Pete Forman