[IPython-User] Notebook web server and kernels crash seemingly randomly

Farnbauer, Tom (Pfaeffikon) tfarnbauer@ahl....
Mon Sep 17 11:43:06 CDT 2012

Hi,

First, let me just add that we use the notebook functionality extensively and find it awesome! However, we are having an issue where the web server process and all kernels opened for the session simply disappear without a trace. The occurences are effectively random, with certain clustering tendencies. E.g. everything works fine for a week, and then someone encounters this issue 5 times in a row. When it does happen, the processes are gone without a trace. No information is printed to the console or log files. Obviously, once the web server is gone, it is no longer possible to save any open notebooks.

To clarify, the dashboard always comes up, and it is possible to open any particular notebook. So far, the issue only manifested itself some random time after opening a notebook and running code. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between the 'crashes' and memory or cpu usage. We have encountered this issue a few minutes after opening a notebook (and before any heavier computations would happen), and also hours into working against a single kernel.

We start the notebook with some script that sets up some company specific env vars, and then simply executes:

app = NotebookApp.instance()
app.initialize()
app.start()

We are using Windows 7 machines and Chrome v19. The issues has persisted across 0.13stable to 0.14dev, with the latter being used currently.

On IRC Q_revert suggested running with DEBUG level logging, which is what we are going to attempt now. We'll see if it reveals anything.

I wonder if anyone has encountered this issue before, or perhaps could give some pointers on how to find the root cause?

Cheers,

Tom

This email has been sent by a member of the Man group (“Man”). Man’s parent company, Man Group plc, is registered in England and Wales (company number 2921462) at Riverbank House, 2 Swan  Lane, London, EC4R 3AD.
The contents of this email are for the named addressee(s) only. It contains information which may be confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, destroy this email and any attachments and do not otherwise disclose or use them. Email transmission is not a secure method of communication and Man cannot accept responsibility for the completeness or accuracy of this email or any attachments. Whilst Man makes every effort to keep its network free from viruses, it does not accept responsibility for any computer virus which might be transferred by way of this email or any attachments. This email does not constitute a request, offer, recommendation or solicitation of any kind to buy, subscribe, sell or redeem any investment instruments or to perform other such transactions of any kind. Man reserves the right to monitor, record and retain all electronic and telephone communications through its network in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. --UwQe9f5k7pI3vplngP