[IPython-User] writing ipython history to file, works in terminal, not in qtconsole and notebook

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Sep 17 16:21:02 CDT 2012

Hi Mark,

On 17 September 2012 21:36, Mark Andrews <andrews.markw@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have googled for anyone experiencing something similar, but nothing
> shows up. The error message seems to say that the filename should be
> unicode, but doing so makes no difference.

It's not the filename that's the issue, it's the code it's trying to
save into the file. It looks like the error is down to variations in
json implementations (pyzmq includes code to select the best available
json library). The standard library json always unpacks to unicode
strings, but evidently one or more of the alternatives doesn't. We
should check this and make sure code passed to run_cell is unicode.

Please file a bug to make sure we don't forget about it:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues

Thanks,
Thomas