[IPython-User] Notebook web server and kernels crash seemingly randomly

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Sep 21 06:01:00 CDT 2012

Hi Tom,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Farnbauer, Tom (Pfaeffikon)
<tfarnbauer@ahl.com> wrote:
> I wonder if anyone has encountered this issue before, or perhaps could give some pointers on how to find the root cause?

Mmh, I've never seen anything like what you describe, despite
extensive use of the notebook.  But it's important to note that most
of the core team and 'die hard' users I know of run either OSX or
Linux, and our experience with Windows is significantly less overall.

I'm afraid that debugging something like this is going to be a bit
tricky... Is it possible that there is some overzealous
firewall/antivirus/similar process in your environment that is getting
a little too trigger happy because of all the network/zmq activity
that ipython generates?  Obviously it could be something in our own
code, but the drastic variations in behavior you describe make me
think of an external factor...

By all means try to run with debugging on (you can set it permanently
in your profile if that helps people not forget to activate it), and
let us know of anything that could be useful info...