[IPython-User] Question about object introspection

klo uo klonuo@gmail....
Sat Sep 22 07:42:42 CDT 2012

I'll try to explain through example:

In [1]: from lxml import etree

In [3]: xp = tree.xpath('/foo/bar')

Now "xp" is a list of objects, in above example list of just one object:

[<Element bar at 0x1aa4aa8>]

So if I want to access variable "xp", I must access list item, and IPython
treats it as a list without exposing underlying object.

As in:

In [4]: xp[0].<tab>

it won't let me inspect the object, while if I type:

In [5]: xp0 = xp[0]
In [6]: xp0.<tab>

Now it exposes the object, and shows me available options/functions.

Why is it like this?

I guess I miss something and there must be some issue with it if it's made
like this, but I can't think of it