[IPython-User] launching engines via python

Ben Edwards bedwards@cs.unm....
Tue Sep 25 18:30:13 CDT 2012

I ran into this problem not too long ago. I don't think there is any
programmatic way to do this within iPython, but you can use subprocess.
I've added in a signal handler, so if I have to stop my script in the
middle of a run it automatically shuts down the cluster.

import subprocess
> import signal
> import time

def signal_handler(signal,frame):
>      print("Shutting Down Cluster")
>      subprocess.Popen(["ipcluster", "stop", "--quiet"])
>      sys.exit(0)
>

> signal.signal(signal.SIGINT, signal_handler)
> subprocess.Popen(["ipcluster",
>                   "start",
>                   "--n=" + str(12),
>                   "--daemonize",
>                   "--quiet"])
> time.sleep(5) #time for the cluster to spin up
> #Code using cluster
> subprocess.Popen(["ipcluster", "stop", "--quiet"])

Hope this helps.