[IPython-User] notebook cell URLs?

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Fri Sep 28 10:49:09 CDT 2012

I think are some technical issues to work out, but I think we probably
need to think about this in the long term.  What is not clear to me is
whether or not is makes sense for the cells URLs to allow editing and
running of code.  As Matthias points out if that was allowed, there
would be a host of problems with out basic model of notebooks and
kernels.  Having read only cell URLs would solve those issues.  If you
really want single cells that are r/w/x enabled, it would be a better
model to create single cell notebooks like Sage's single cell server.

Cheers,

Brian

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Darren Govoni <darren@ontrenet.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I thought of an interesting idea to maybe add to ipython notebook server.
>
> Perhaps the cells on a notebook can be referenced individually via a URL
> (e.g. using a # to subreference the cell),
> and in doing so, the notebook server would evaluate that cell and simply
> return the mime based result directly
> to the browser.
>
> In this way, cells can also be used as services to de-reference individually
> in an ecosystem of interacting cells. The notebooks
> could still exist for editing the cells, etc.
>
> We would want something like this to use cells as the backend for widgets,
> performing some computation and returning some desired
> result. It would make things very cool and easy.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Darren

Brian E. Granger