[IPython-User] Sphinx live link to nbviewer view of notebook

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Tue Apr 9 15:02:28 CDT 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 3 April 2013 22:49, Martijn Vermaat <martijn@vermaat.name> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ah, I did misunderstand (part of) your question. The notebook you're
>>> linking to is located next to the Sphinx files and at Sphinx built
>>> time, it is not known what URL will be used to view them.
>>

>> Perhaps there's a better way to approach this. Rather than generating
>> links to nbviewer, and having your documentation rely on an external
>> service, why not extend Sphinx to generate static HTML views of ipynb files
>> as part of the docs? That's all nbviewer is really doing anyway, and it
>> keeps your docs as a neat self-contained package.
>

> This is what I would do - if all you want is a static render of the
> notebook, just use nbconvert to build it as part of the sphinx build.
>
> nbviewer is *not* a special, unique service, it's just hosted nbconvert.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I believe this would require a sphinx extension to dump the built html
files into the built source.  Can anyone think of an easier way?  Has
anyone done this?

Cheers,

Matthew