[IPython-User] client/server question

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Thu Apr 25 07:26:48 CDT 2013

Hi Chris,

On 25 April 2013 09:17, Chris Withers <chris@simplistix.co.uk> wrote:

> How can I run just the kernel part of ipython up, preferably as a daemon?

You can run 'ipython kernel' to have a standalone kernel. To make it
accessible to other machines, there's a --ip setting to set the interface
it should listen on (default is localhost). This has basic security (an
execution key that clients need to sign messages with), but if you want
more security, you should use SSH tunnels as described here:
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/interactive/qtconsole.html?highlight=ssh%20tunnel#ssh-tunnels

> Once I have, how do I connect to it? Do I need to copy the .json file
> across and use it as normal, or is there a more graceful way?

As far as I know, copying the .json files is the easiest way. That
specifies the ports to connect to and the execution key.

> Lastly, I assume the python namespace your interact with is always the
> one on the server, so if I do '%ls' I'll get a list of files on the server?

Yes - the kernel process is the one running all commands.

>  Is there any way to pull data (files, etc) in from the machine where the
> client is running?

At present, no, although there's mention of adding a 'file' message type in
the messaging spec:
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/development/messaging.html#future-ideas

For now, you'll have to use another channel to put files on the machine
where the kernel is running. Or run the kernel where the files are.

Best wishes,
Thomas