[IPython-User] [notebook] centered equations

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Sat Apr 27 16:38:04 CDT 2013

Yes!  This is a great way of thinking about it.  I do completely agree
that having some visual demarcation of equations using horizontal
alignment makes sense.  This gives us a knob we can fine tune to get
the right look in the greatest number of situations.  My main concern
about using centered as the default is that a huge amount of content
(images, input, output) is left justified even if we narrow the
notebook aspect ratio - that is very different than most latex docs.

I have opened an issue for this one and a few other related layout
design things:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/3224

Feel free to edit this if I have not represented things well...

Cheers,

Brian

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> ps - I should add that centered isn't necessarily the only solution,
> another common choice in mathematical typography is a reasonable
> amount of left indentation.  But *some* amount of indentation that
> helps guide the mental reading process with visual cues, as to when a
> transition is being made from text narrative to purely mathematical
> content, is very important: that's the main reason for this convention
> in typography.  In the end it's not a matter of aesthetics, which
> we'll never get universal agreement on, but of improving the
> readability of math-heavy text. And readability is something on which
> hundreds of years of typographical experience shouldn't be ignored.

Brian E. Granger