[IPython-User] use ipython for library coding?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Mon Apr 29 16:35:00 CDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:23:22PM +0100, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> On 29 April 2013 22:18, Tim Michelsen <timmichelsen@gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
>
> > I wonder how do you advanced users write your library code?
> >
> > Talking of module or package that provides key functions for the
> > analysis such as loading data or a specially tailored plotting,
> > conversionroutines, etc.
> >
> > Do you also use IPython for prototyping or do these things happen in a
> > separate editor?
> >

> I use a conventional editor to build libraries, although I sometimes get
> code working in IPython and then copy it into an editor when I'm happy with
> it. When I'm developing, I usually have at least one IPython running to
> test snippets, inspect objects, and so on.
>
> Testing code with %run and %debug is also very useful.

I do the same as Thomas, more or less.

When I'm developing any substantial code, I work with my text editor and
the terminal.  The main thing I do in the terminal is 'nosetests
test/for/code/i/am/writing', but I usually have an IPython console open
somewhere to test things out.

I use the notebook a lot for writing tutorials or exploring ideas, e.g:

https://github.com/practical-neuroimaging/pna-notebooks

Cheers,

Matthew