[IPython-User] Heads up - major changes landed

Dave Hirschfeld dave.hirschfeld@gmail....
Tue Apr 16 03:07:16 CDT 2013

Thomas Kluyver <takowl <at> gmail.com> writes:

> We've just landed PR #2447, which is a major reworking of our input
transformation framework (the bit that allows IPython goodies like magic
commands, cell magics, system commands, autocalling, and so on).The test
suite is parsing, but with any major change, there's a risk of breaking
things in corner cases, so if you see anything unexpected, please make sure
we know about it. And if you're giving a vital demo, you might not want to
'git pull' just before you're on.
> Thanks,Thomas

I've just updated to the latest IPython and am seeing some strange behaviour
with the cythonmagic - it seems to choke on non-python syntax but only in
certain circumstances:

In [1]: %load_ext cythonmagic

In [2]: %%cython
   ...:
   ...: cimport cython
   ...: def f(x):
   ...:     return 2.0*x
  File "<ipython-input-2-16e622cf1638>", line 2
    cimport cython
                 ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

In [3]: %%cython
   ...: cimport cython
   ...: def f(x):
   ...:     return 2.0*x
   ...:

In [4]: f(2.0)
Out[4]: 4.0

In [5]: %%cython
    ...: cimport cython
    ...:
    ...: def f(double x):
    ...:     return 2.0*x
  File "<ipython-input-11-124eaf389bed>", line 2
    def f(double x):
                 ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Anyone else seeing this?

A good test-case (that fails for me) could be the cythonmagic notebook:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/raw.github.com/ipython/ipython/3607712653c6
6d63e0d7f13f073bde8c0f209ba8/docs/examples/notebooks/cython_extension.ipynb

Thanks,
Dave