[IPython-User] ipython slow to start with --pylab flag

alex arsenovic arsenovic@virginia....
Sun Aug 11 10:47:07 CDT 2013

well, i switched back to the master branch, and mv'd my original
config back, and the slowness has dis-appeared. i tried to re-create
the symptoms, but i cant. frustrating.

alex

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM, alex arsenovic <arsenovic@virginia.edu> wrote:
> i am familiar with what you are talking about, but its not that. its
> slow every time i start.
>
> also, i noticed that the CPU is not being used during the 'pause'
> before startup. . .
>
> On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's quite slow to load all of the modules involved from disk, but once they
>> have been loaded, the operating system will keep them in cache, so
>> subsequent starts will be much faster. Could this be what you're seeing?
>>
>> Thomas
>>
>> On Aug 11, 2013 6:40 AM, "alex arsenovic" <arsenovic@virginia.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> hello,
>>>     i have a strange problem that just began. all of a sudden,
>>> `ipython --pylab` and `ipython notebook` take a long time to start
>>> (15s). it used to take about 1s  to start. i noticed that if i turn
>>> off the  --pylab flag (on the former), ipython starts instantly (<1s).
>>> I can then import pylab, which takes no time.
>>>
>>> i was playing with some configuration options for notebook at the time
>>> i noticed this bizarre slow-down begin. so i mv'd my whole
>>> .config/ipython directory, to get back to default. no effect.
>>>
>>> i was also continually pulling the latest git master branch, so i
>>> tested this by checking out an earlier version (ad1b59c), in which i
>>> knew  this slow-start was not happening. no effect.
>>>
>>> i am very confused about what would cause this, and cant think of
>>> anything i did. (fyi i have matplotlib-1.1.1-1 from   ubuntu repos.)
>>>

>>> help!
>>> alex