[IPython-User] Slow startup for IPython qtconsole

Antony Lee antony.lee@berkeley....
Tue Aug 13 23:42:52 CDT 2013

Hi,
I understand that this issue is only tangentially related to IPython itself
but perhaps someone can help me...  On my lab's server, which is behind a
router, IPython qtconsole startup is extremely slow.  "Ctrl-C profiling"
shows that the bottleneck is in the call to
"socket.gethostbyname_ex(hostname)" in IPython.utils.localinterfaces.  In
fact, I checked that this single calls takes many seconds to complete.  Can
that be due to some router misconfiguration?  Or is there a way around
that?  (I do not need my kernels be accessible over the network...)
Thanks in advance,
Antony