[IPython-User] Getting deepreload to work by default

David Prager Branner brannerchinese@gmail....
Wed Aug 28 12:41:38 CDT 2013

Thanks. Here's a minimum working example

Contents of ~/.ipython/profile_default/startup/ipython3_startup.ipy:

    %load_ext autoreload
    %autoreload 2

Created file `simple.py`:

    def main():
        print('Single line of
output')

Within Ipython 1.0.0 (Python 3.3.1, Mac OS 10.8.4)

    In [1]: import simple as S

    In [2]: S.main()
    Single line of output

    In [3]: # to simple.py now add this line and save: print('Added line')

    In [4]: S.main()
    Single line of output

So it appears that S is not reloading, since the added line is not printing.

This is not as expected, correct? I'll delete my virtualenv and reinstall,
but before I do, is there any sort of test I can run to see if something
fundamental is wrong with my installation?

Many thanks. Ipython is a really superb tool, you know.

- dpb

Developer and Lexicographer of Chinese
brannerchinese.com