[IPython-User] Getting deepreload to work by default

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Aug 28 19:06:37 CDT 2013

On 28 August 2013 14:59, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Or even fix it, if that's possible. I can replicate it now, and I'll have
> a look into it.

Ah, of course, we detect whether a file needs to be reloaded by checking
whether the .py file is newer than the .pyc file. There are other
situations where that won't work, such as if you have multiple IPythons
open autoreloading the same module, only one will get an updated version.
The .pyc timestamp is essentially a system-global variable. I've filed an
issue for this:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/4127

David, you're interested in getting involved - do you want to have a shot
at fixing this? It should be relatively straightforward coding. The lines
where we check the timestamps are here:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/IPython/extensions/autoreload.py#L219

Thanks,
Thomas