[IPython-User] notebook and parallel work on Windows7 and Linux

Fritz Payr fritz.payr@salzburgresearch...
Fri Feb 1 06:50:07 CST 2013

MinRK, thank you very much for the answers!!

- I think the strategy of separating task-submission from
result-retrieval will work well for me! :-)

> The Notebook may lose *websocket* connections (execution, output) when
> the tunnel goes down,
> but you should at least be able to do things like save the notebook
> after re-establishing the tunnel
> and then refresh the page to get new websocket connections.
I don't understand websockets, so please ignore this if it doesn't make
sense: Could it be useful (e.g. in a special "persistent-session-mode"?)
to have output saved independently of the websocket connections, to be
able to reconnect to it later? (- together with reconnecting the kernel...)

>     A smaller issue I noticed in the second configuration is that while
>     IPython's paramiko can work nicely with PuTTY (rather: Pageant) to
>     find
>     private ssh keys, it doesn't recognize PuTTY's "known hosts" or
>     remember
>     its own. (Apparently PuTTY stores them in the registry, but paramiko
>     would like them saved to a file by the application?) So I keep getting
>     warnings about an unknown host (first time in the browser-notebook,
>     later in its cmd-output) although it should be well-known by now.
>

> That sounds like an issue for Paramiko.  I don't know of anything
> IPython should be doing here.
Paramiko-docs say
(http://www.lag.net/paramiko/docs/paramiko.SSHClient-class.html#load_system_host_keys)
- I'm afraid on Windows they really leave known-hosts-management to the
application! :-/
- But then, for what you call "sort of working" on Windows, IPython's
SSH code really does a very decent job!! :-)

Thanks!
Fritz