[IPython-User] nbserver SSL Errors

K.-Michael Aye kmichael.aye@gmail....
Fri Feb 1 17:24:21 CST 2013

On 2013-02-01 22:26:58 +0000, MinRK said:

> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM, K.-Michael Aye <kmichael.aye@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2013-02-01 21:48:50 +0000, K.-Michael Aye said:
>
> > On 2013-02-01 21:41:39 +0000, Brian Granger said:
> >
> >> I think you have to specify the path to the ssl files using absolute paths.
> >
> > That was it, thanks!
> >
> > But now the next problem:
> > The dashboard looks okay and lists all my notebooks that were found in
> > the configured notebook_dir, but trying to launch one I get this error:
> >
> > Websocket connection to
> >
> wss://luna1.diviner.ucla.edu:8888/kernels/7c62fbb3-c4fb-47d7-8ca8-03f6dd87b5f1
>
> > could not be established. You will NOT be able to run code. Your
> > browser may not be compatible with the websocket version in the server,
> > or if the url does not look right, there could be an error in the
> > server's configuration.
> >
> > What's missing now?
>
> I can report that it works using Firefox and have found, that there is
> a known problem with Safari's secure websocket connection (in a thread
> of Jan 2012). So I take it that there was no progress on that?
> It's a minor hassle, but as Safari is my main browser, it would be nice
> to have it running there as well.
>
> There is no progress to be made.  Safari does not allow HTTPS websocket
> connections to an untrusted host.
> If you generate an appropriate certificate and add it to your keychain,
> then it will work.
> But if you get the 'untrusted...' warning when you connect to the
> notebook, websockets *will not work* in Safari.
> There is nothing IPython can do about it.

Thanks for letting me know. I was successful to import the created
certificate into my Mac's keychain.
By just double-clicking the .pem file it was automatically added to the
system keychain.
Then you have to restart the Safari (in case you had the dashboard
displayed already).
When logging into the dashboard again, another request for trust pops
up, where one can state to always trust this certificate (again). After
these 2 steps, all works in Safari as well! yay!

Many thanks for the help!
Michael