[IPython-User] make html failure

Aaron Meurer asmeurer@gmail....
Sat Feb 2 18:31:22 CST 2013

In SymPy, our docs used to not make all the time, and even when they
did make, there were warnings (I think we even released 0.7.0 without
fixing all of them, because they were too bad).  We did a cleanup of
all the errors (thanks mostly to GCI from 2011-2012), but the only way
that we've managed to maintain it is to test that the docs build with
each pull request.

We do this with sympy-bot. I modified the Sphinx makefile to add make
html-errors, which is just

html-errors: SPHINXOPTS += -W
html-errors: html

(the -W command makes Sphinx return with an error code on an error).
Then we run that on each pull request.  It probably would be possible
to make Travis do this as well.  People tend to make Sphinx
incompatible change to docstrings without realizing it all the time,
so unless you constantly test that the docs build, they will always
slip into warnings or even errors land.

Aaron Meurer