[IPython-User] [IPython-dev] Index and public link to our notebook example collection

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Mon Feb 18 16:36:04 CST 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Matthias BUSSONNIER
> <bussonniermatthias@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You probably know that a separate repo would be browsable on nbviewer-dev...
>
> Well, the directory with notebooks would be equally browsable, no?
> Since ultimately we want to be able to render groups of notebooks
> anywhere on gh, I think that argument is neutral towards single/split.
>
> But if making it a separate repo makes it more manageable for people,
> I'm OK with that.  Whatever encourages people to write more
> documentation is good in my book :)
>
> One thing to consider is that API extraction gets trickier with
> separate repos: we want to move away from our current massive
> auto-generated api stuff, but we'll always have some API docs.  I
> don't know how easy it is to mistakenly generate the api docs against
> the wrong tree if we split it.

Part of what we need to figure out is how we want to handle the API
docs once our narrative docs move to notebooks.  I do agree that the
API docs probably have to live in the same tree as the actual code.
We didn't really get to talk about the future of the API docs yet.  We
might want to have a HipChat meeting about some of these things...

> I think that's the only technical argument I can think of for keeping
> them together, but it's an important one.

Yep.

Brian E. Granger