[IPython-User] mathjax

Francesco Montesano franz.bergesund@gmail....
Tue Feb 19 04:17:24 CST 2013

Dear all,

As clearly stated, ipython notebook uses mathjax for rendering latex and
the default behaviour is to use a online location for mathjax. If you want
to install it you have to do:

from IPython.external.mathjax import install_mathjax
install_mathjax()

The "problem" with it is that it install mathjax on the ipython directory.

My work and laptop computers (kubuntu 12.04 and 12.10) have already
installed a 'libjs-mathjax' from the ubuntu repo. Is this mathjax different
from the one used by ipython.
If yes: what is the difference?
if not: why Ipython does not use the system mathjax if available. If this
is the case, it looks to me redundant, in particular if mathjax is a large
package

Cheers.

Francesco