[IPython-User] mathjax

Tue Feb 19 07:01:49 CST 2013

Le 19 févr. 2013 à 11:17, Francesco Montesano a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> As clearly stated, ipython notebook uses mathjax for rendering latex and the default behaviour is to use a online location for mathjax. If you want to install it you have to do:
>
> from IPython.external.mathjax import install_mathjax
> install_mathjax()
>
> The "problem" with it is that it install mathjax on the ipython directory.
>
> My work and laptop computers (kubuntu 12.04 and 12.10) have already installed a 'libjs-mathjax' from the ubuntu repo. Is this mathjax different from the one used by ipython.
> If yes: what is the difference?
> if not: why Ipython does not use the system mathjax if available. If this is the case, it looks to me redundant, in particular if mathjax is a large package

Hi Francesco.

Yes IPython can use the package mathjax, we just not configure it to do so, it is the responsibility of the maintainer of each distribution to do so.
I suppose libjs-mathjax should be fine.

Still you should be able to use the following configuration flag :

c.NotebookApp.mathjax_url
c.NotebookApp.extra_static_paths

To provide the correct information to IPython in order to use it.

Does this help you ?

--
Matthias