[IPython-User] Tunnelling ipython notebook through gateway server

Jimmie Yoo jimmie.yoo@chaj....
Thu Feb 21 10:37:19 CST 2013

I had to do something like this recently and one of the simplest ways that
I've found is to modify your ssh config file as follows:

[user@mylaptop ~/]# cat .ssh/rsg_config
# Host is whatever friendly name you want to use for the ipython_host
Host ipy_host

  # ipython_host ssh username
  User         ipython_user

  # Actual ipython hostname
  HostName     ipython.bla.local

  # Path to your private key file if you're using one and only needs
  # to be defined if you're not using the default one (~/.ssh/id_rsa)
  # This will come into play when connecting to the gateway
  IdentityFile ~/.ssh/ipython_id_rsa

  # This is the command that will be invoked on the gateway host after
  # you connect. As you can see it simply executes an nc (netcat) which just
  # echoes all of your traffic to the ipython_host
  # %h is the 'HostName' defined above
  # %p is the port which defaults to 22
  ProxyCommand ssh -q -i ~/.ssh/ipython_id_rsa
gatewayuser@gateway.bla.localnc %h %p 2>/dev/null

You should then in theory be able to access the ipython notebook instance
on your laptop by running:

ssh -L 8888:localhost:8888 ipy_host &
(& will background)

and then you should be able to hit the site in your browser on
http://localhost:8888/

Lemme know if this works or if you have any questions. If this does work
perhaps we should post this somewhere.

Jim