[IPython-User] notebook server dies when logging out of terminal

Burns, Scott S scott.s.burns@Vanderbilt....
Tue Feb 26 03:48:54 CST 2013

I've got a notebook server running without an explicit terminal by spawning it under supervisord (http://supervisord.org/).

--Scott

On Feb 26, 2013, at 1:42 AM, "K.-Michael Aye" <kmichael.aye@gmail.com<mailto:kmichael.aye@gmail.com>> wrote:

I am using a notebook server profile on our fast linux server so that I
can log onto the notebook server with the browser on my Macbook.
This works pretty well as long as I stay connected to the terminal
where I am logged into the server.

I am lauching my notebookserver on a remote server like this:

ipython notebook --profile=nbserver &

to send the nbserver into the background, so that when I would
disconnect because I am sending the macbook to sleep for a while, while
changing the room and, most likely, the kind of network connection.
However, for some reason the nbserver always becomes unresponsive in a
way. I still can log out and into the dashboard via the password
protection, but cells from a newly openened notebook are not being
executed, the '*' stays forever in front of each cell that was
Shift-Returned.

Further information:
I have configured the nbserver to use https:.

Anybody has any idea what might be going wrong or how I could set up a
notebook server that stays alive independent from a ssh login?

Best regards,
Michael