[IPython-User] notebook server dies when logging out of terminal

K.-Michael Aye kmichael.aye@gmail....
Tue Feb 26 15:02:40 CST 2013

On 2013-02-26 11:56:20 +0000, Moritz Emanuel Beber said:

> Hi,
>
> On 02/26/2013 08:41 AM, K.-Michael Aye wrote:
>> I am using a notebook server profile on our fast linux server so that I
>> can log onto the notebook server with the browser on my Macbook.
>> This works pretty well as long as I stay connected to the terminal
>> where I am logged into the server.
>>
>> I am lauching my notebookserver on a remote server like this:
>>
>> ipython notebook --profile=nbserver &
>>
>> to send the nbserver into the background, so that when I would
>> disconnect because I am sending the macbook to sleep for a while, while
>> changing the room and, most likely, the kind of network connection.
>> However, for some reason the nbserver always becomes unresponsive in a
>> way. I still can log out and into the dashboard via the password
>> protection, but cells from a newly openened notebook are not being
>> executed, the '*' stays forever in front of each cell that was
>> Shift-Returned.
>>
>> Further information:
>> I have configured the nbserver to use https:.
>>
>> Anybody has any idea what might be going wrong or how I could set up a
>> notebook server that stays alive independent from a ssh login?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Michael

> For most processes you would have to start them with 'nohup' and
> redirect their stdout and stderr streams to be able to just log out
> without them being affected. I highly recommend 'screen' as Matthias
> already mentioned. You can even start the notebook inside a screen
> session with a single command:
>
> $ screen -dmS your_screen_session_name_here ipython notebook
> --profile=nbserver
>
> 'screen' is a great utility to learn anyway since you can have "multiple
> terminals" through a single ssh session. When you later want to interact
> with programs running inside of screen, simply type:
>
> $ screen -r
> or
> $ screen -r your_screen_session_name_here
>
> if you have multiple screen instances.
>
> Cheers,
> Moritz

Thanks everybody! I was using screen 20 years ago to explore the
unix-worlds, interwebs and play MUDs at the same time, but somehow
didn't have a use case in the last years. Thanks to you I'm "back on
track".  ;)

Best,
Michael

PS.: Nevertheless it's technically interesting that the nbserver only
died "half", isn't it?