[IPython-User] Simplest way to load nbviewer notebooks?

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Tue Feb 26 18:18:04 CST 2013

We probably want a place in the dashboard where a user can enter a URL
or gist id to import a notebook....the dashboard has some big changes
on the horizon and we would need to think carefully about how this
would be presented to the user though.  It is also probably out of
scope for right now:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/Roadmap:-IPython

But this feature request will be considered...

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM, K.-Michael Aye <kmichael.aye@gmail.com> wrote:
> So there are bookmarklets and extensions to open your currently open gist or
> notebook in nbviewer, but I am still a bit hassled by the current procedure
> to get a nbviewer notebook to open in my local notebook:
>
> 1. Download Notebook
>
> 2. Safari goes on my nerves with attaching a .txt which I manually have to
> remove
>
> 3. Safari kills me by asking if I really want to do this.
>
> 4. Locate notebook file in Downloads folder
>
> 5. Drag it onto the notebook dashboard.
>

> Isn't there any shorter way yet? Something like the %load magic for external
> python scripts? Or, how about a place where I can paste the url to the
> notebook download in and the rest works automagically? Am I missing some
> trick somewhere?
>

> Thanks for any hints, and as always, thanks to the IPython team for their
> great work!
>

> Michael

Brian E. Granger