[IPython-User] engines reconnect after controller restart?

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Wed Jan 9 16:05:59 CST 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Min RK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, there is a preliminary implementation of this in current master.

Sorry, I should have probably mentioned exactly how you would do this :)

There are a few changes.

1. if you do not set `reuse_files=True`, the controller will cleanup its
connection files on a clean exit.  That means that if you wish to stop and
restart the controller cleanly, you need to set this (crash will generally
prevent cleanup).
2. engines now have their own heartbeat mechanism, so if the controller is
down for too long, they will give up themselves.
The logic here is a maximum number of missed heartbeats,
so the timeout for engines is EngineFactory.max_heartbeat_misses *
HeartMonitor.period (default = 50 * 3 ~= 3 minutes).  You may want to
change these two config values if that's not an appropriate time for
engines to give up.
3. to attempt to restore the controller state, do
    ipcontroller --restore

I doubt that this has been tested out in the world, but I have played with
stopping and starting the Controller myself.  Note that, at present, this
only re-establishes connections, it does not restore job queues or
anything, so it is of limited utility.

-MinRK