[IPython-User] IPy Notebook: Continue plotting in the same figure from another cell

Chao YUE chaoyuejoy@gmail....
Thu Jan 10 02:45:49 CST 2013

I think if you're using notebook with inline mode, maybe currently it
doesn't suport interactive plotting.

if you can succeed with the same code in ipython --pylab without notebook,
then it's what as
I indicate. I think ipython --pylab will enable you to do what you want
even without using OO
interface.

chao

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Matthias Bussonnier <
bussonniermatthias@gmail.com> wrote:

> Short from my phone.
>
> There is an autoclose option on profile/command line see --help-all
> Set it to false.
>
> Or the preferable way. Use matplotlib OO interface:
>
> Fig,ax =subplots(1,1)
> ax.plot(...)
>
> Markdown
>
> ax.dosomethingelse(...)
>
> Which is the real way of using matplotlib without pylab magic. It is much
> more powerfull.
> --
> Matthias
>  Le 10 janv. 2013 09:09, "Norfeldt" <lasse@norfeldt.dk> a écrit :
>
> This is properly a trivial question and due to my lack of experience with
>> matplotlib (come from a MATLAB environment) :
>>
>> Here is an illustration of my question:
>>
>> --Cell 1----------------------------------
>> fig = figure(1)
>> fig.clf()
>>
>> count, bars, ignored = hist(very_very_big_population, 40, normed=True)
>> plot(bars, bell_curve_data(bars), color='r')
>>
>> -- Markup cell ----------------------
>> Some text explaining what I want to do next or other stuff.
>>
>> --Cell 2--------------------------------
>> fig # continue plotting on the previous figure
>>
>> plot(bars, some_other_data, color='g')
>>
>> However I can't seem to continue plotting on the same figure and have to
>> run
>> the hist and plot again - which takes time since it is really a big big
>> population...
>>
>> How do I continue plotting on the figure from the previous cell (Cell 1)
>> ________________________?
>>

>> BONUS QUESTION:
>>
>> While typing this I quickly started thinking if it is possible to copy the
>> figure with plot ____________________?
>> So say I want to plot something in Cell 2 on the the figure from Cell 1
>> but
>> still want to be able to get a "clean" (without the Cell 2 plotting) Cell
>> 1
>> figure in Cell 3 and do some different plotting on this.
>>

>> --

Chao YUE
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement (LSCE-IPSL)
UMR 1572 CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
Batiment 712 - Pe 119
91191 GIF Sur YVETTE Cedex
Tel: (33) 01 69 08 29 02; Fax:01.69.08.77.16