[IPython-User] Showing images with external app

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Jan 14 08:18:57 CST 2013

Hi Carlos,

On 29 December 2012 02:03, Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita@gmail.com> wrote:

> Related to this (but maybe unrelated enough to deserve its own thread
> which I'm not starting): why is the %rmagic extension forcing inline
> graphic output? rpy2.interactive.process_revents does a good job for
> the x11 dev (at least) and IMHO an option should be provided to turn
> off the inline mode in order to be able to plot to another device.

Sorry you didn't get a reply sooner.

There isn't currently a way to view the plots from R in plain terminal
IPython. As a workaround, use one of the ZMQ frontends. If you want to stay
in the terminal, 'ipython console' should work, and it can be configured to
display images coming in from the kernel.

I agree that there should be an option to use the R interactive plotting,
rather than showing static images. Can you file an issue about it so that
we don't forget?

Thanks,
Thomas