[IPython-User] copy one cell from one notebook to another

Chao YUE chaoyuejoy@gmail....
Tue Jan 15 01:34:32 CST 2013

Thanks a lot for response. This feature might no be necessarily very
useful.
for me, the usage might be you have a "draft" notebook where you use
interactive play.
in this notebook you may have many cells but each cell only 1-2 lines. Then
I use %save my_clean_code.py 20-40 (let's say I want 20-40 lines that are
already clean
and will be saved for future use.), then again with %loadpy
my_clean_code.py I can load them
again into a new cell. Now I would like to copy this cell to another clean
notebook for storing the
code (with better, clean visual feelings). Because I think notebook with
its text and title features
is actually a better tool to store code than files.

 Chao

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:37 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is something we have thought about doing, but we haven't gotten to it
> yet.
>
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Paul Hobson <pmhobson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Chao YUE <chaoyuejoy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> Suppose I have notebook1 and notebook2, they are now listed in the same
> >> notebook session.
> >>
> >> Could I copy one cell from notebook1 to notebook2?
> >> by this way I can play in notebook1 but put all the tested codes neatly
> in
> >> notebook2.
> >>
> >> cheers,
> >>
> >> Chao
> >

> > Chao,
> >
> > I don't think I fully understand what behavior and perhaps
> (user-interface)
> > feature you would like to see. I'm struggling to imagine a menu item or
> > keyboard shortcut that would be simpler and faster than simply copying
> the
> > text of an existing cell in notebook1 into a new cell in notebook2.
> >
> > If you need to copy over many cells at once, I would recommend simply
> > copying the notebook ("Make a Copy" in the "File" menu).
> > -paul

> --
> Brian E. Granger
> bgranger@calpoly.edu and ellisonbg@gmail.com

Chao YUE
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement (LSCE-IPSL)
UMR 1572 CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
Batiment 712 - Pe 119
91191 GIF Sur YVETTE Cedex
Tel: (33) 01 69 08 29 02; Fax:01.69.08.77.16