[IPython-User] ipython notebook codeblock with greaterthan

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Tue Jan 15 11:27:48 CST 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 1:27 AM, Matthias BUSSONNIER <
bussonniermatthias@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 15 janv. 2013 à 07:20, Jakob Gager a écrit :
>
> > Actually, this behavior is intended since a greater sign at the
> beginning of the line
> > indicates a blockquote in markdown (see
> http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#blockquote)
> >
> > To really get a greater sign (and no blockquote) you can use the html
> code &gt; (don't forget the semicolon).
> >
> > #&gt; ls.dat  # works fine!
>
> I would suggest avoiding html entities, That would not support conversion
> to Tex/rst/pdf… with nbconvert.
> Usually you can escape the Markdown delimiter with \ (backslash), it does
> not work on this case,
> but starting the line with a non breaking space does the trick here.

I don't think this comment is accurate.  Markdown is 100% intended to
include inline html, and any converter should expect this to be the case.
 Pandoc, for instance, handles html entities inside markdown just fine.  If
nbconvert can't handle html entities in markdown, this is just a bug in
nbconvert.