[IPython-User] d3graphs like Fernando's at Pycon Canada

Kevin ipythonstudent@eml...
Fri Jan 18 21:55:55 CST 2013

Hi All,

Wow, stunning work you folks are doing with IPython! I'm totally
hooked!!

I searched the archives (google
"site:http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/ d3graph"), but found
nothing on this question. Also checked stackoverflow.com and although
there was one question on this subject, it's not yet been answered 17
days later.

I just watched Fernando's Pycon Canada presentation
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F4rFuIb1Ie4> and
was amazed at all the capability.

I've spend the last several days learning and getting most of this code
operating in OS X 10.7, and finally have a reasonably operable system
that lets me startup the notebook and the qtconsole. I can do a bunch of
matplotlib plotting and image display and stuff.

I walked myself through most of the things that Fernando did in his
presentation, and got my system doing most of the things that his was
doing, but the bit about the %load_ext d3graph isn't working for me.

I found this <https://github.com/ipython/jsplugins/tree/master/d3graph>
and followed instructions in the READMEs, but can't reproduce Fernando's
output (which I thought was breathtaking). Is this what he was using? I
know he mentioned that it was 3 different branches and all, but that was
two months ago, so I was hoping it's available now?

I found the simple "Visualizing Graphs with d3.ipynb" file in that repo,
and loaded that notebook myself, and when I execute all of the lines of
code except for the first (%load_ext d3graph), I get no error output.
And if I afterward just type "G" (no quotes) at the prompt, that shows
me the same output as for display(G). But then when I go to the first
cell and execute that, and then type "G" at the prompt, I get this
error: <http://pastebin.com/5gueAeMZ>

Any suggestions on how to fix?

Thanks in advance.

-Kevin