[IPython-User] d3graphs like Fernando's at Pycon Canada

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Fri Jan 18 23:59:03 CST 2013

Kevin,

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM, Kevin <ipythonstudent@eml.cc> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Wow, stunning work you folks are doing with IPython! I'm totally
> hooked!!

Great, glad you like it!  That makes us happy :)

> I searched the archives (google
> "site:http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/ d3graph"), but found
> nothing on this question. Also checked stackoverflow.com and although
> there was one question on this subject, it's not yet been answered 17
> days later.
>
> I just watched Fernando's Pycon Canada presentation
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F4rFuIb1Ie4> and
> was amazed at all the capability.
>
> I've spend the last several days learning and getting most of this code
> operating in OS X 10.7, and finally have a reasonably operable system
> that lets me startup the notebook and the qtconsole. I can do a bunch of
> matplotlib plotting and image display and stuff.
>
> I walked myself through most of the things that Fernando did in his
> presentation, and got my system doing most of the things that his was
> doing, but the bit about the %load_ext d3graph isn't working for me.
>
> I found this <https://github.com/ipython/jsplugins/tree/master/d3graph>
> and followed instructions in the READMEs, but can't reproduce Fernando's
> output (which I thought was breathtaking). Is this what he was using? I
> know he mentioned that it was 3 different branches and all, but that was
> two months ago, so I was hoping it's available now?

This work is the first step in a larger bit of work in adding
interactive JS capabilities to the notebook.  TO use that plugin you
will need the branch linked to in this PR:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/2518

BUT, it has not been merged and in the course of reviewing it we
realized that there are some bigger design issues we will have to
figure out first.  We are going to do this, in fact we have a large
grant from the Sloan foundation to work on this exactly, but we are
not quite there yet.  Hope you can be patient with us...

But give that branch a shot and see how it goes.

Cheers,

Brian

> I found the simple "Visualizing Graphs with d3.ipynb" file in that repo,
> and loaded that notebook myself, and when I execute all of the lines of
> code except for the first (%load_ext d3graph), I get no error output.
> And if I afterward just type "G" (no quotes) at the prompt, that shows
> me the same output as for display(G). But then when I go to the first
> cell and execute that, and then type "G" at the prompt, I get this
> error: <http://pastebin.com/5gueAeMZ>
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Kevin