[IPython-User] notebook magic development questions

Mon Jan 21 00:16:14 CST 2013

Le 21 janv. 2013 à 06:54, Ben Mabey a écrit :

> On 1/20/13 10:48 PM, Ben Mabey wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm new to ipython (and python in general) and am loving the notebook,
>> thanks for all the work on it!

Thanks !

>> To facilitate my workflow for data analysis I'm creating some custom
>> line and cell magics.  For the most part things are straight forward
>> but I'm unhappy with my current development workflow on the magics. To
>> develop the magics I have the magic file in the same directory as my
>> notebook.  I can `%load_ext m
> Sorry, for the premature send...
>
> Anyways, as I was typing.. I can  `%load_ext mymagics` just fine and
> test my magics but when I change my extension I am having to restart the
> notebook server before my changes take effect.  I noticed that you can
> have ipython automatically relaod your code for you[1] and I have tried
> that but it doesn't seem to be working my the extension I'm creating.
> How can I have IPython reload my extension so I can test my new changes?

Hi,

have you try adding an unload capability ?
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/config/extensions/index.html#writing-extensions

There might be some case where you can't unload, but at least you should only have to
restart the current kernel and not the server (from the notebook menu).

We'll also be happy to see the magic you are writing, and you are welcomed to add it to
the extension index.

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/Extensions-Index

Thanks,
--