[IPython-User] Pretty rendering of docstrings

Gökhan Sever gokhansever@gmail....
Thu Jan 24 12:32:01 CST 2013

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for jumping in. In fact, updating my Sphinx installation to 1.1.3
and checking out spyder from hg base, I can see the docstrings for
np.random.lognormal is rendered just like I was asking for. This layout is
quite good for my documentation need. I also found the documentation source
for lognormal at
http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/source/numpy/numpy/random/mtrand/mtrand.pyx#3026

I will start from there and work on creating my long-overdue cloud physics
function library documentation project :) This will hopefully attract
others out there who prefers IDL over Python for their atmospheric science
related coding.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 5:30 AM, Carlos Córdoba <ccordoba12@gmail.com>wrote:

>  Gökhan, we already have exactly what you're asking for in Spyder.
> Docstrings are displayed in rich text mode under our plugin called "Object
> Inspector". This works for objects introspected from the Editor or the
> IPython console, using Ctrl+I. In version 2.2 (in beta) we've also added
> math rendering, using the Sphinx mathJax plugin.
>
> As Matthias said, the plugin can't render all docstrings correctly
> (because not all are in rst) but: a) you can also view them in plain text
> and b) we plan to improve that during the next months. I think it's not
> that hard because almost all docstrings from the standard library are not
> in rst, it's not so complicated to detect if a dosctring is in numpydoc
> (using the tools provided by numpydoc) and for all the rest we could
> highlight only code snippets, if present.
>
> Cheers,
> Carlos
>
> El 23/01/13 22:03, Gökhan Sever escribió:
>
> Hello,
>
>  Is there any plan for IPython notebook to support pretty rendering of
> docstrings?
>
>  Take for instance:
>

> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.random.lognormal.html
>
>  Sphinx puts a nice rendered equation (probably via MathJax), right below:
>
>  "The probability density function for the log-normal distribution is"
>
>  and the layout of documentation is quite neat.
>
>  Sage notebook also renders the equation fine. Can this be supported in
> IPython notebook?
>
>  I am particularly interested in equation rendering, since I am planning
> to insert latex representation of the equations in function docstrings.
>
>  Thanks.
>
>  --
> Gökhan

Gökhan