[IPython-User] Pretty rendering of docstrings

Thu Jan 24 15:00:16 CST 2013

Le 24 janv. 2013 à 19:41, Brian Granger a écrit :

> I know this is heresy, but the easiest docstring format for us to deal
> with is markdown.  It would be nearly trivial for us to render that in
> the  notebook along with embedded latex.  reST is horrible for this
> type of thing - especially because it requires server side rendering,
> which I am not excited about at all.

I agree that markdown is nice, still reST has much more feature, and especially thanks
to directive and sphinx allow lots of good doc and cross link across these doc.

> What about the following:
>
> * By default we just render docstrings as text.
> * We establish an informal protocol that allows doctstrings to declare
> their own format (html, markdown, etc.).
> * We use that information to determine how to render the doctoring.

This would still need a protocol modification to send frontend the different _docstrting_repr_
--
Matthias