[IPython-User] Pretty rendering of docstrings

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Thu Jan 24 15:23:45 CST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Matthias BUSSONNIER
<bussonniermatthias@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 24 janv. 2013 à 19:41, Brian Granger a écrit :
>
>> I know this is heresy, but the easiest docstring format for us to deal
>> with is markdown.  It would be nearly trivial for us to render that in
>> the  notebook along with embedded latex.  reST is horrible for this
>> type of thing - especially because it requires server side rendering,
>> which I am not excited about at all.
>
> I agree that markdown is nice, still reST has much more feature, and especially thanks
> to directive and sphinx allow lots of good doc and cross link across these doc.
>

>> What about the following:
>>
>> * By default we just render docstrings as text.
>> * We establish an informal protocol that allows doctstrings to declare
>> their own format (html, markdown, etc.).
>> * We use that information to determine how to render the doctoring.
>
> This would still need a protocol modification to send frontend the different _docstrting_repr_

Not in how I imagine it.  The payload/pager protocol would simply send
back the raw docstring.  The client web app would look at the
docstring format and figure out what to do with it.

Cheers,

Brian

> Matthias

Brian E. Granger