[IPython-User] Promoting Stackoverflow for Ipython questions

Signell, Richard rsignell@usgs....
Fri Jan 25 07:05:39 CST 2013

Brian & Co.,

There were several different answers given in response to the recent
question about installing the notebook with EPD (below), and in fact
after posting my pwn answer I thought of something I would have liked
to add.

This made me wish the question had been asked on stackoverflow instead
of the mailing list, where the answers can be voted up and down, and
modified later.

I noticed that on the Pandas "community" page
(http://pandas.pydata.org/community.html) it says "Have a question
about pandas? Your first stop should be Stack Overflow. Search for an
existing answer to your question, or post a new one (and make sure you
include the “pandas” tag).".

Do you think it might be a good idea to encourage Ipython folks to go
that way as well?

Thanks
-Rich

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure, if you install the latest EPD, it has everything for the
> notebook.  It is trivial to update ipython to the latest.  Info is
> here:
>
> http://brianegranger.com/?page_id=107
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian
>
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Chao YUE <chaoyuejoy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I recently bought a macbook and I have some problem installing the packages
>> I use in daily life (for example, numpy).
>> So I am thinking EPD. But I really like the ipython notebook.
>>
>> Now in my fedora system I installed everything using pip or build from
>> source (I am lucky that I don't have too much trouble on this).
>> so Does anyone know that I can use ipython notebook if I install the EPD? if
>> anyone is doing this, please leave a message. thanks!
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Chao
>>
>> --
>> ***********************************************************************************
>> Chao YUE
>> Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement (LSCE-IPSL)
>> UMR 1572 CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
>> Batiment 712 - Pe 119
>> 91191 GIF Sur YVETTE Cedex
>> Tel: (33) 01 69 08 29 02; Fax:01.69.08.77.16
>>

> --
> Brian E. Granger
> bgranger@calpoly.edu and ellisonbg@gmail.com

Dr. Richard P. Signell   (508) 457-2229