[IPython-User] slow startup time possibly because of sqlite

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Jan 28 16:32:41 CST 2013

On 28 January 2013 19:33, Matthias BUSSONNIER
<bussonniermatthias@gmail.com>wrote:

> IIRC we had some issues with history on NFS, but maybe it was only on
> windows.

It's not, unfortunately - SQLite over NFS is a general problem. And as far
as we know, there's no way to easily detect whether a directory is on NFS.
The workaround is to set HistoryManager.hist_file to a location that will
be stored locally, or to :memory: (in which case, history will be lost
between sessions).

Thanks for the detailed analysis of the problem. From what you say,
connecting from different threads may be the issue. We have a
HistorySavingThread which opens its own connection to the database to write
command history. Python's sqlite3 module has an undocumented option to
share a single database connection between threads. We've been reluctant to
play with it, but you might want to experiment with it.

Best wishes,
Thomas