[IPython-User] Showing images with external app

Carlos Pita carlosjosepita@gmail....
Tue Jan 29 13:56:37 CST 2013

Hi Thomas,

> I agree that there should be an option to use the R interactive plotting,
> rather than showing static images. Can you file an issue about it so that we
> don't forget?

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/2857

I could work on this issue, but I'm not sure how do you intend to
communicate rmagic which device to use.

Some alternatives that come to my mind are:

1) Additional parameter to %R
2) Additional magic command, say %dev (it could just be a toggle to
skip your current png prologue/epilogue)
3) Additional CLI flag to ipython

I don't like 1 or 3. 1 because it would be very cumbersome to specify
the non-default setting each time (in case it's your preference),
which goes against the goal of simplifying the interface with R. 3
because it would be a session-long setting and it seems sensible to
provide for a more granular decision making.

What do you think?

Regards
--
Carlos