[IPython-User] slow startup time possibly because of sqlite

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Jan 30 11:47:22 CST 2013

On 30 January 2013 16:57, klo uo <klonuo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Reason for my interest, was that I suspected my start time may suffer from
> same problem, but I guess anyone mentioning start time problem will have my
> attention as I have it too.

I'd also be interested in making startup faster. I notice that the first
time I start ipython after turning on my computer, there's a noticeable
delay.

A bit of testing suggests that imports are a major source of the delay:

$ sync ; echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches # Clear caches to
simulate cold start
$ time python -c "import IPython.core.interactiveshell"

real    0m5.714s
user    0m0.196s
sys    0m0.104s

$ sync ; echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
$ time ipython -c pass
real    0m7.243s
user    0m0.320s
sys    0m0.104s

I'll investigate whether we can drop or delay some imports.

Thomas