[IPython-User] slow startup time possibly because of sqlite

Gökhan Sever gokhansever@gmail....
Wed Jan 30 13:07:42 CST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 January 2013 16:57, klo uo <klonuo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Reason for my interest, was that I suspected my start time may suffer
>> from same problem, but I guess anyone mentioning start time problem will
>> have my attention as I have it too.
>

> I'd also be interested in making startup faster. I notice that the first
> time I start ipython after turning on my computer, there's a noticeable
> delay.
>
> A bit of testing suggests that imports are a major source of the delay:
>
> $ sync ; echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches # Clear caches to
> simulate cold start
> $ time python -c "import IPython.core.interactiveshell"
>
> real    0m5.714s
> user    0m0.196s
> sys    0m0.104s
>
> $ sync ; echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
> $ time ipython -c pass
> real    0m7.243s
> user    0m0.320s
> sys    0m0.104s
>
> I'll investigate whether we can drop or delay some imports.
>
> Thomas

IPython with pylab is also quite slow:

$ sync ; echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
$ time ipython --pylab -c 'print 1'
Python 2.7, IPython 0.14.dev

1

real 0m12.013s
user 0m1.153s
sys 0m0.402s

without sync

$ time ipython --pylab -c 'print 1'

1

real 0m1.334s
user 0m0.744s
sys 0m0.127s

comparing to IDL:

$ sync ; echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
$ time idl -e 'print, 1'
IDL Version 8.2.1 (linux x86_64 m64). (c) 2012, Exelis Visual Information
Solutions, Inc.

       1

real 0m4.479s
user 0m0.157s