[IPython-User] Notebook - Killing subprocesses (Was: Setting a timeout for "!" (shell) commands)

Paul Moore p.f.moore@gmail....
Tue Jun 4 08:22:47 CDT 2013

On 3 June 2013 14:29, Paul Moore <p.f.moore@gmail.com> wrote:

> While this is obviously a (particularly dumb :-)) user error, it's very
> hard to recover from. I have to run Process Explorer, hunt for the
> appropriate shell subprocess, and kill it. That's not always easy, and
> never convenient. I have tried the "Kernel/Interrupt Kernel" menu item, and
> it does not kill the subprocess (I don't know if that's by design or a bug).

Thinking some more about this, I believe that the correct answer should be
that Kernel/Interrupt Kernel should kill any long-running shell process
that the kernel is waiting on.

This isn't happening in Windows. I don't have access to a Unix box to check
if it's a Windows-only issue, or if it is cross-platform.

I'll raise this as a bug.
Paul